Saturday, November 10, 2012

Adventures in Poultry

We are new to chickens but I'm already hooked. We've started with just two chickens and two ducks. 
The chickens are Missy the Barred Rock and Emmy the Easter Egger

The ducks are Thelma and Louise, both Muscovies. 

I'm looking to buy a few more hens right now, at laying age. Hopefully I can find some that are relatively tame. Emmy is a nutcase. She finds the silliest things to be scared of. She sure is cute, though.




Thanks to Backyard Chicken Forum I have been doing a lot of research on how to be viewed by  friends and family as extra crazy. So naturally I have started a mealworm farm to provide the ladies with delicious buggy goodness. 



Mealworms are high in protein, and for whatever reason, they are like crack for chickens. I started with 500 (minus some dead ones and some samples for the girls) and hope that soon I will have some beetles to lay eggs and perpetuate the cycle. 
Missy seems to think this mealworm venture suits me just fine.




No comments:

Post a Comment